Thursday

Giving Your Work the Light of Day


A good friend came over the other day and we spent a part of the afternoon leafing through my books and pulling framed fine art pieces out of their envelopes. He had a lot of amazing questions and comments about process. I really enjoyed sitting and looking, in a sense, at my entire life through my work.

I speak often with my students about how images are not just made for now, but also for our futures. We often don't know exactly why we are compelled to make an image and then, if we're lucky, it becomes clear later. The context of a photograph evolves over time, as the life of the photographer unfolds. As I wrote in a post yesterday, some images are over with quickly and others stand the test of time...just like relationships. It is those photographs that have stood this test that I am most interested in. But yet somehow, I keep making more, not yet knowing which ones will remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment