Saturday

Daily Practice: Listening to Myself, Sort of

I recently had the strange sensation of reading my own words, without knowing what the original context was. A student handed me a xeroxed sheet, which she had received in a photo class. The teacher had used my writing within a handout, which I was flattered to see. I honestly couldn't remember when I had written it, so it felt like I was reading the work of someone else.

After a little memory-jarring research, it turns out that the passage came from a contribution I did for the International Center of Photography's newsletter in 2008. In re-reading what I wrote, I realized that the thoughts are still relevant today in relation to both teaching and my own photographic pursuits:

It's All in the Daily Practice

The composer Ernest Newman wrote that "The greatest composer does not sit down to work because
he is inspired, but becomes inspired because he is working." Keep this idea in mind when making photographs. It's easy to believe that we must have a clear vision of a project before we even start it when in fact, the best ideas often come when we least expect them.

No matter what kind of photographer you are or want to become, be sure to shoot your own life often and shoot it candidly. Often a simple, regular documentation of the daily can open up ideas for new projects. Don't worry if it's "art" or even it it's "good." Just be sure to put aside a certain amount of time to shoot for no other reason than to enjoy yourself. This will keep the ideas flowing.


                                                                                                           Joanne Dugan, NYC
                                                                                                           originally 2008
                                                                                                           re-posted 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment